By: Amrish Malik
Essentials of a gluten free kitchen
Friends, this is me again. This time let’s discuss some kitchen essential, a gluten free kitchen should have.
Look I know that it’s difficult for you, because once diagnosed with gluten sensitivity it feels like world becomes upside down. You have to learn lot of baking and eating skills, as most of the snack and daily meals are full of gluten, at home and in local market.
But believe me gluten free recipes are much better than the usual wheat recipes for the health point of view, even an non gluten sensitive person can reveal the tremendous benefits of the gluten free diet. North Indians usually consume wheat flour for chapatti/ roti (Indian flat bread) and almost every kitchen have utensils to prepare them.
Now, with gluten sensitivity you have to bit smarter and a keen learner so that your life can be easy and full of awesome gluten free delicacies. Some of the tools and utensils which I experienced will help you to prepare different recipes, specially the baked products, not easily available in the market and priced high.
See if you have these equipment’s in your gluten free kitchen.
- Oven: This versatile kitchen equipment can solve lot of baking problems. You can prepare cakes, pizza, breads and many other baked items which are not available in the market and sometimes, could be stale. Oven will resolve your 80% of problem and you can enjoy the freshly baked items at home. New generation microwaves are also available with keep warm/ or proofing options, where your proofing time can be reduced to 1/3 and their convention mode can be used to bake the items, but oven gives much better results compare to microwaves.
- Hand Mixer with blenders: Usually available in all kitchens, plays a vital role for making the cakes and breads. Cakes and breads need precise mixing, unidirectional and opposite direction so better to have variant speed hand mixer with blender, which comes with different types of blender attachments. Different kind of hand blenders are available in the market, but I feel you should choose to have twin blade double action blender which will fulfil all your kneading and mixing requirements.
- Weighing Balance: These tools will help you to measure the correct volume of the flours and other ingredients for the baking. Baking is a complex process which needs the precise and accurate measure of the ingredients, a slight change in the ingredients play a vital role. 0 to 2 kg weighing balance can be opted for the gluten free kitchen use.
- Measuring Cups Set: Measuring of the liquids items are equally important, cakes and breads need the precise quantity of the different liquid ingredients. A less or higher quantity can ruin your whole recipe. Dual graded measuring cups which measure in gms/ ml are also available.
- Digital Temperature Gauge/ Thermometer: This is a very important tool to measure the correct temperature of the oven and even to identify the room temperature. Many baking recipes need to keep at a warm area for certain time for the proofing or ageing. Proofing or raising process is very essential for the bread making and temperature gauges can also be used to ascertain the water temperature. So many digital temperature meters are available in the market or you can find them at online markets places also, but it should be with a probe so that you can easily measure the temperatures in liquids and solids.
- Baking Utensils: Different shape and size of cake moulds, baking trays and bread loaf tins will help to bake different recipes. You can also keep some special kind on knifes, spatulas, brush (for oiling) and other utensil.
These kitchen essentials will help you enjoy fresh homemade recipes.